Juicing involves extracting water and nutrients from a fruit or vegetable, leaving the fiber behind. The benefits of juicing include:
1. Juicing is a good option for people who are suffering from an illness or have sensitive digestive systems.
2. Juicing is very beneficial during a detoxification program or cleanse. Because it is so rich in nutrients, it aids in the bodies restoration on a cellular level.
3. You can pack a lot more servings of fruits and vegetables into one juice than you would with blending.
When juicing, you want to use primarily vegetables. Why? If you juice primarily fruits, this can cause a spike in your blood sugar. I start with celery, kale and cucumber and add a little granny smith apple or carrot to sweeten. Keep in mind that the juice lacks fiber and therefore won’t fill you up as much as a blended drink with fiber would.
Blending involves chopping up fruits and vegetables into small pieces and mixing with a liquid to produce a smooth drink, customarily called a smoothie. As with juicing, be careful with using all fruit or adding fruit juices as the liquid. Try starting with kale or spinach as a base. Add in some antioxidant rich berries, unsweetened nut milk or coconut milk and a tablespoon of flax or chia for a complete meal. The benefits of blending include:
1. Blending leaves all of the fiber in the drink, thus making it more filling than a juice.
2. Blending allows for a slower, steady release of nutrients into the blood stream so there is less of a chance of a blood sugar spike.
3. Blending is less expensive than juicing. Because you are using the whole vegetable or fruit, you get a lot more volume.
4. Blending involves less prep work and clean up. You can throw everything into a blender instead of having to chop, extract and then clean all the parts to a juicer.
In my health coaching practice, I discuss both juicing and blending with my clients. I have both a juicer and a blender in my kitchen, but tend to have smoothies most mornings and juice as a supplement or as part of a detox/cleanse twice a year. Whatever you choose, you are doing something great for your body!